Laughter improves your mood, reduces pain, boosts your immune system and diminishes stress. When feeling frustrated, sad or anger, remembering a funny event or joke helps lighten your burden, increase your focus, improve your energy and change negative feelings and thoughts to positive thinking and emotions.
Some benefits of laughter are listed below:
- Feel better – improves positive thinking, energizes your body and increases your sense of well-being.
- Increases connection with others – reduces nervousness and increase bonds.
- Decreases anger – laughter helps diffuse conflict and anger quickly and helps change your perspective on the situation.
- Lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow – reducing risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Reduces stress hormones – by reducing these hormones, you boost your immune system and relax your body for up to 45 minutes after.
- Activates T-cells – these cells help fight illness and improve resistance to disease.
- Releases endorphins – helps you feel happy, and endorphins are your bodies natural pain killers.
- Burns calories – over 15 minutes of laughter raises your heart rate and burns 30-50 calories.
- Tones your ab muscles – laughing causes your stomach muscles to contract and expand.
- Stimulates organs – increases oxygen intake and stimulates your heart and lungs.
Want to feel the benefits of laughter? Come to Seeds of Wellness’ FREE “Laughter Therapy Group” every 1st Saturday of the month from 10:30 to 11:30 am starting May 6, 2017. You can bring a joke and/or funny story to share. Learn more on our “Events and Services” web page or call 440-933-7733.
- “7 Health Benefits of Laughter” by Gaiam
- “9 Surprising Benefits of Laughter You Need to Know” by Lifehack
- “Laughter Is the Best Medicine” by Helpguide.org
- “Laughter Good for Your Health” by WebMD