With the increased popularity of electronic cigarettes, the sale of e-liquid or e-juice has also increased. Many electronic cigarette brands sell pre-filled e-liquid cartridges for customer safety and ease of use. However, many people purchase e-liquid separately for more control over what they are inhaling and to decrease the cost of using electronic cigarettes.
What Is E-liquid?
E-liquid is a nicotine based liquid that carries nicotine to the user of an electronic cigarette when the liquid is heated. This liquid is contained in pre-filled cartridges or purchased in bottles. All e-liquid contains the following components:
- Nicotine: natural addictive chemical released from tobacco leaves. The nicotine is distilled from the leaves to produce the highest purity levels.
- Flavoring: when nicotine is removed from the tobacco leaves, there is no longer any flavor to the nicotine, so flavor needs to be added to the nicotine liquid. E-liquid comes in a wide variety of flavors usually made with the same flavorings used in foods and candies.
- Diluents: these additives dilute the nicotine and flavor mixture to reach the strength desired. The diluents also produce the vapor that transports the nicotine and flavor to the electronic cigarette user. The most common diluents are water, propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerin (VG). Both food-grade PG and VG are common food and pharmaceutical additives. E-liquids may contain only PG, only VG or a combination of the two.
E-liquid brands vary in flavor, consistency, throat hit (sensation felt at the back of the throat) and nicotine concentration.
Dangers of Liquid Nicotine
Most e-liquid contains liquid nicotine. Below is a list of dangers cause by nicotine, especially in liquid form*:
- Classified as a poison
- Absorbed into the body when swallowed, inhaled or comes into contact with the skin
- Addictive chemical
- Effects the nervous system and the heart
- Combustible when exposed to heat or flames
- Increases heart rate and blood pressure
- Irritation and redness of the eyes when exposed to vapor
- Causes vomiting, abdominal pain, rapid breathing, headache, confusion during early stage of nicotine poisoning (Call 911 if these symptoms occur before symptoms become more severe
- Irritation and redness to the skin)
- Cause death after severe exposure
* Read more about nicotine dangers and emergency response safety.
E-liquid Handling Guidelines
- Keep cartridges and e-liquid bottles away from children and animals at all times**
- Lock up bottles and cartridges when not in use if children come into or live in your home**
- Do not let anyone under the age of 18 handle e-liquid
- Do not drink, ingest, eat, swallow, taste, inject or soak you skin in e-liquid
- Wear non porous gloves if possible when handling e-liquid
- Never allow the e-liquid to touch your skin because the nicotine will be absorbed by your skin
- Wash skin immediately with soap and water for several minutes when e-liquid comes in contact with your skin and contract poison control
- Keep e-liquid away from direct sunlight, heat and fire because many of its ingredients are highly flammable
- Store e-liquid in a cool, dry and dark place to retain flavor and prevent spoilage of the ingredients
- Clean up spills wearing non porous gloves and dispose of contaminated materials properly
- Treat e-liquid contaminated items as toxic waste and contact your local authority for proper disposal of items
Note: We do not guarantee your safety even if you follow these guidelines.
**A small amount of e-liquid can cause severe harm, health issues or death to children and animals. Seek medical assistance immediately if ingested by a child or animal.
There are many places online to purchase e-liquid made overseas and in the USA. Some bottles come in child resistant packaging with warnings on the label. Please be sure follow the guidelines above when handling e-liquid and do not leave it inside your car during hot weather.
Seeds of Wellness carries DuraSmoke e-juice, Hold Fast e-liquid and Seeds of Wellness e-juice, high quality American made e-liquids. The plastic bottles are child resistant and Batch Code Tracking for safety. Go to our web page to learn more about Seeds of Wellness e-juice, Hold Fast E-liquids and DuraSmoke e-juice.